Delicious Cashew Cream “Cheese” Recipe
A healthy cheese alternative!
For many people who are moving toward a plant-based diet, the one food they often struggle to eliminate is cheese. I get it. In my cheese-eating days, it would make almost any meal better: cheeseburgers, salads, quesadillas - the list is endless!
In Ayurveda, cheese increases Kapha and can clog the channels of the body because of its heavy, sticky qualities, which are similar in quality to ama (Ayurveda’s version of internal toxic build-up caused by undigested foods in the GI tract). Consider the consistency of melted cheese and imagine your gut trying to break it down - not an easy task. Several modern studies point to the many health risks of regular cheese consumption, yet it is as ubiquitous in our cooking as salt and pepper. So, imagine my happiness when I discovered this recipe! It is so simple that even I was surprised at its tastiness; especially when I added my own flavors to the mix. Hopefully this will offer a tasty alternative to cheese for you as well!
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked in water 3 hours or overnight if possible)
- 1 small to medium lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp Himalayan Salt
- ¼ cup water
Additional Ingredient Options
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 - 3 green onions
- Strain and rinse cashews
- Put cashews, Himalayan salt, and lemon juice in a blender or food processor
- Add a small amount of water and blend
- Add water little by little until desired consistency (should be a thick, cream cheese-like consistency)
- Add more salt to taste, if desired
Be creative and add any flavor options that appeal to you! My favorites are dill and green onion. Use this spread as a topping for crackers, as a vegetable dip or on a sandwich, in place of cheese!
Vata pacifying, can increase Kapha in excess.
* Recipe adapted from Ruby Roth’s The Help Yourself Cookbook for Kids: 60 Easy Plant-Based Recipes Kids Can Make to Stay Healthy and Save the Earth. I highly recommend this cookbook, especially if you’re facing challenges integrating more plant foods into your kids’ meals and snacks. This book is full of cute graphics and simple recipes that kids will absolutely love.
Browse through all of our delicious, balancing recipes from Kottakkal Ayurveda's affiliates!