A Type of Joint Disease That Results from the Breakdown of Joint Cartilage and Bone.
“The most common symptoms are joint pain and stiffness and symptoms usually progress slowly over the years. The main symptom is pain and stiffness causing loss of mobility. The pain is typically made worse by prolonged activity and relieved by rest. Stiffness is most common in the morning, and typically lasts less than thirty minutes after beginning daily activities, but may return after periods of inactivity. Osteoarthritis can cause a crackling noise (called "crepitus") when the affected joint is moved, especially the shoulder and knee joints.” Read more here.
According to the CDC, osteoarthritis is the 11th cause of disability worldwide. Statistics by the CDC indicate after age 65, as many as 49% of the population will be diagnosed with arthritis with a higher incidence for women. Read more here.
Caraka Cikitsā Sthāna 28, lists osteoarthritis under Vatavyadhi which are diseases mainly caused by vata dosha. Categorized as Sandhigata vata it presents with depletion of the cartilage and synovial fluid. Vata creates an empty space, and crepitus a grating sound is heard as well as a grinding sensation is felt between the bone and cartilage. Vata also causes abnormal growth of the afflicted tissue which causes pain, swelling, and inflammation.
This is the characteristic feature of Sandhigata vata.
Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal has a large number of products that are useful in Osteoarthritis.
Some HERBAL products are:
- Ostikot Tablet – useful for osteoarthritis, this polyherbal formulation helps in the management of osteoarthritis. It’s anti-inflammatory, analgesic and anti-arthritic properties offer relief from pain, inflammation, deterioration, and further damage to the cartilage.
- Maha Rasnadi Kwatham (Galanga) useful for osteoarthritis and degenerative joint diseases as well as hemiplegia, facial palsy, frozen shoulder, sciatica, gout, tremor, scoliosis.
- Gandha Oil 10ml and Gandha Oil SoftGel Capsule – (sesame + milk) useful for osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, and osteopenia, also useful for fractures and dislocations.
- Pinda Oil – (sesame + ghee + castor) - very useful for osteoarthritis as well as rheumatoid arthritis, gouty arthritis, and neuropathy.
- Jatamayadi Churnam – applied externally as a paste to relieve pain and inflammation caused by inflammatory joint diseases, balance vita, and kapha.
- Kottamchukkadi Churnam - applied externally as a paste to relieve pain and swelling in the joints, balances vita, and kapha.
- Rhukot Gel – useful for osteoarthritis and other arthritic joint pain.
- Pain Balm - useful for backache and general aches and pains.
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Kottakkal Ayurveda products and this information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have serious, acute or chronic health problems, please consult a trained health professional. If you are seeking the medical advice of a trained Ayurvedic practitioner or doctor, call (800) 215-9934 or email us at mailto:email@example.com and we will provide you with one of our affiliated Ayurvedic professionals. Check with your doctor before taking herbs when pregnant or nursing.