Thank you Naomi Boas of Heal Ayurveda LA for this delicious, Vata-calming recipe!
- 3 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered length-wise and sliced thin (Beauregard Sweet Potatoes, if possible. Make sure they are orange-fleshed potatoes; white or purple fleshed sweet potatoes will result in an odd looking unappetizing color)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped fine
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons of creamy almond butter
- 2 tablespoons of ghee
- 2 teaspoons of packed light brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of fresh cilantro, minced
- ½ teaspoon of ground coriander
- Himalayan salt
- Fresh ground pepper
1) Melt ghee in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft and translucent (about 5-7 minutes.
2) Stir in garlic and coriander and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
3) Add chicken broth, water, sweet potatoes and almond butter. Bring to boil over high heat. Once boiling, turn heat to low and cook, partially covered, until sweet potatoes are soft and easily pierced with a knife (about 25-30 minutes).
4) Working in batches, puree soup in a blender (or a Nutribullet) until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes, then transfer the blended soup to a clean saucepan. Warm, season with salt and fresh ground pepper (to taste), garnish with cilantro and serve.
Schedule a consultation with Naomi Boas!