VATA BALANCING KITCHARI
- 1/2 cup sprouted mung beans (moong dal)
- 1/2 cup whole green mung beans
- ¾ cup organic basmati rice
- 2 pieces kombu (optional)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 10-12 cups water
- 2 tbsp ghee (use coconut oil for vegan variation)
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard seed
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp ginger, fresh grated or powder
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- ½ tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 cup green peas, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 broccoli
- Combine the mung beans, rice, kombu and bay leaves in a large pot.
- Add 10 cups of water to start, or enough to cover mixture with 3-4 inches of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Then, heat a separate sauce pan.
- Add in your ghee or coconut oil, add your onion, then stir in all your spices and heat gently on low to release the flavors – careful not to burn.
- Transfer spices into your pot of rice/dal, stir until well combined.
- Continue to cook on low for about 45 minutes.
- If adding green vegetables to the mix, add after 30 minutes of cooking.
- Check occasionally and stir to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot.
- For very well cooked and soupy kitchari, add more water and continue to cook until desired consistency.
- To serve, garnish with a squeeze of lime juice and a big dollop of cilantro chutney.
Article by Paras Moghtader