AYURVEDIC HEAD MASSAGE
OILS, BENEFITS AND HOW TO
Shiro Abhyanga is the Ayurvedic name for head massage. The head is the point where our senses, prana, and marma points join together to process everything we think and feel. Ayurvedic head massage is soothing and restores the effects of both physical and emotional stresses. Especially during the summer, our heads are subject to excess stresses caused by heat.
Ayurvedic scalp massage is an ancient massage practice incorporated in India hundreds of years ago. During the summer months, head massage with Ayurvedic oils offers relief from increased heat.
Relaxes nervous tension, stress, and headaches
Reduces jaw, neck and shoulder pain
Improves the quality of sleep
Nourishes hair, prevents hair loss, early graying
Increases mental focus and clarity of the senses
HOW TO DO AN OIL MASSAGE
- Warm the oil to a comfortable temperature.
- First, apply the warm oil mixture to the scalp with your fingers or use a tint bottle with a long nozzle.
- Work in small sections down the sides of the head, then the back making sure the mixture covers the entire scalp.
- Bend your head forward so that your chin touches the chest. Pour more oil along the back of your head down to where the hairline ends.
- Spread the oil over the back of the head and massage the oil into your neck and shoulders. Next, give your scalp a good massage.
- Rub with the pads of your fingers in a circular motion all over the scalp for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Apply some pressure, but don’t press so hard that it hurts. Leave the oil in for a minimum of twenty minutes. Cover your head to protect it from air and cold drafts.
Kottakkal Ayurveda offers 52 different Ayurvedic oils:
Our most popular oils:
- Chandanadi Oil (Lotus + Sandalwood) a cooling sesame massage oil for the head that relieves burning sensation and dizziness. Useful for the head and improved memory, etc.
- Cheriya Bhringamalakadi Oil (Cow’s Milk) is a sesame cooling massage oil for the head useful for hair growth, improving eyesight and hearing and tightens loose teeth.
- Kadaliphaladi oil (Banana Flower) is sesame soothing massage oil for the head useful for chronic headache, stress, anxiety, insomnia, and is calming for pitta.
- Kayyanyadi Coconut Oil (Bhringaraj) is a coconut rejuvenating massage oil for the head & neck. Useful for damaged hair, hair loss, and premature graying.
Don't forgot about our Kashayams:
- Pathyakshadatryadi Kashayam: This powerful product has Triphala, Neem and Guduchi as its three main ingredients. It's frequently used to ease headaches, migraines, gastric upset, toothaches, eye disorders including shortsightedness, night blindness and cataracts. This formula balances vata, kapha, and especially pitta.
Related Article: Abhyanga Body Massage - Love Yourself With Oil
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Kottakkal Ayurveda products and this information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have serious, acute or chronic health problems, please consult a trained health professional. If you are seeking the medical advice of a trained Ayurvedic practitioner or doctor, call (800) 215-9934 or email us at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org and we will provide you with one of our affiliated Ayurvedic professionals. Check with your doctor before taking herbs when pregnant or nursing.