A delicious soup like this is good for anytime of the year. It's high in fiber and vegan (unless you use ghee in place of the coconut oil!) which is also a great switch. Enjoy this warm, balancing dish with friends and family! It's the perfect one to share, so we made this recipe to serve 6 in time for the holidays.
Ingredients For the Soup:
- 2 cups of lentils
- 5 cups of chopped vegetables, such as zucchini, carrots, celery and sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1-inch piece chopped or grated ginger (fresh!)
- 1 big tablespoon coconut oil
Herbs and Spices:
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground mustard seeds
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Sea salt, around 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Heat a large pot on medium heat.
- Add ghee or coconut oil and melt.
- Add garlic, onion and fresh ginger and sauté until light golden, or several minutes.
- Add all your herbs and spices and sauté until you can smell the spices.
- Add your hardest vegetables like sweet potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add about 1 liter of water to the pot.
- Add the rest of your vegetables and lentils and cook for about 35-40 minutes, until the hardest root vegetables are soft and the soup is boiling.
- Take off the heat after it's cooked and let it cool for 15 minutes.
- Serve with fresh cilantro or parsley!
Use water-rich vegetables like zucchini for a lighter soup and avoid root vegetables like sweet potatoes for a heavier version.