Kerala Massage Treatments
Massage and the application of oil plays a vital role in the Ayurvedic system of healing. Occupational-therapy is achieved in Kerala by the scientific method of massaging. New types of massages known as effleurage, petrissage, and tapotement cannot yield as good results as the Kerala massages.
There are four specialized rejuvenation treatments in Kerala; they are Dhara, Mukkipizhichal, Navarakizhi, and Sirovasti. These treatments offer excellent results for many conditions of paralysis, sciatica, and mental disorders, hysteria, insanity, etc. The Principle underlying these methods of treatment is detoxication, application of warmth (Swedana), and oily massage (Snehana). These treatments promote increased circulation of blood and diaphoresis.
The usual daily laxative given during the treatment ensures satisfactory evacuation of the bowels and better cleansing of the digestive tract. The fat contents and medicinal unguents absorbed by the skin resulting in improved skin tone, calming the nervous system, improved muscle strength, and faster recovery from fatigue. Metabolic activity is enhanced and stimulates the cardiovascular system, the neuromuscular apparatus, and the respiratory organs.
Tailas or Herbal Oils
Tailas or herbal oils are preparations in which oil is boiled with prescribed kashayas and kalkas according to the classical formula. This process ensures the absorption of the active therapeutic principles of the ingredients used. The oil will generally have the color, odor, and taste of the drugs used with the consistency of the oil. Some oils are for external use, and some for internal use, while others are both. Kuzhampu is a unique oil containing taila, eranda, ghrita, and cow’s milk and is mainly for external use.
Some Lesser Know Oils
- Arimedadi Mouth Wash Oil - useful when applied to the head for catarrh or tooth pain and may also be used as a gargle.
- Asanavilwadi Oil – used daily for disorders of the head, eyes, ears, etc. and also effective in catarrh ailments.
- Balahatadi Oil – used externally applied to the head for chronic headaches, migraines, trigeminal neuralgia. Balances both vata and pitta and is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Reduces tension, stress, dizziness, and insomnia.
- Brahmi Oil – used externally applied to the head for dementia, memory loss, headaches, and migraines. Soothes and nourishes the mind, and relieves stress and tension. Encourages a full night of restful sleep and balances both vata and pitta.
- Chandanadi Oil - used externally for gout. Balances vata and pitta dosa and reduces joint pain and inflammation stemming from gout.
- Chemparuthyadi Coconut Oil – used externally for skin disorders, eczema, scabies, pruritus, improves skin tone, detoxifies the skin and balances pitta dosa.
- Cheriya Bhringamalakadi Oil - useful for daily application to the head before bath, helps problems associated with the eyes and head.
- Chinchadi Oil – useful for neurological conditions, arthritis, and paralysis. Chincha means tamarind, which is the main ingredient in this formula. This herbal oil soothes the brain and nerves and balances vata dosa.
- Durvadi Coconut Hair Oil - used externally to relieve dandruff, psoriasis, and eczema. This herbal oil acts as a skin tonic and detoxifier and helps to heal wounds quickly.
- Eladi Sesame Oil - used externally to relieve eczema, dandruff, scabies, acne, allergic itchy skin conditions. This herbal skin oil also relieves chronic sinus congestion and improves the complexion of the skin. Balances both vata and kapha dosa.
- Gandha Oil 10ml – taken internally for osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. This herbal oil increases calcium absorption in bones, improves strength and mass, and helps heal fractures quickly. It is also used to increase strength in the joints and ligaments. Balances vata dosa.
- Gandharvahastadi Oil - taken internally for osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, constipation, bloating, IBS, abscesses, splenic disorders, and edema. This herbal formula acts as a laxative and is useful for backaches, body aches and other health issues stemming from vata dosa imbalance.
- Jathyadi Coconut Oil – used externally for blisters, burns, eczema, acute and chronic ulcers, fistula, and syphilis and helps wounds heal quickly. Also useful for clearing sinus congestion. Balances vata dosa.
- Kadaliphaladi Oil - used externally for migraines, chronic headaches, stress, anxiety, and insomnia. This herbal oil is an effective relaxant. Balances pitta dosa.
- Kuntalakanti Oil - an oil with a sweet fragrance that prevents hair loss, baldness, and premature gray hair. This herbal oil improves skin complexion and is used on a daily basis. It has a cooling effect that stops dandruff. Balances both vata and pitta dosa.
- Lakshadi Oil - useful in convalescence of chronic fever, psychosis and seizure disorders, promotes growth in infants and children.
- Maha Bala Oil – useful for osteoarthritis, muscle loss, paralysis, facial palsy, and neurological conditions stemming from a vata dosa imbalance. It balances vata dosa and has potent anti-inflammatory properties. It is primarily used to reduce pain and inflammation in the joints.
- Migrakot Oil (100 ml) – used externally for relieving migraines and headaches. This oil enhances the transmission of nerve cells and is non-greasy and non-sticky for easier application. The major ingredients in Migrakot Oil possess analgesic, vaso-protective, haemostastic, antithrombic, cooling and antioxidant properties. Balances vata and kapha dosa.
- Nimbadi Oil – used externally for dandruff, eczema, psoriasis, and acne. This herbal oil is also used for seborrheic dermatitis, scalp psoriasis and stops hair loss. Balances vata and kapha dosa.
- Prasarani Oil - used externally for locked jaw, stiffness in the lower back, sciatica, limping, kyphosis, paraplegia, facial palsy, and stiffness in head and neck.
- Punarnavadi Oil – used externally on head and body for anasarca, anemia, dropsy, etc.
- Rasnadi Oil - useful in all diseases of the head, ear, and nose caused by cold and phlegm.
- Valiya Arimedas Tailam - useful to head in catarrhal affections and toothache and also may be used as a gargle.
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Kottakkal Ayurveda products and this information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have serious, acute or chronic health problems, please consult a trained health professional. If you are seeking the medical advice of a trained Ayurvedic practitioner or doctor, call (800) 215-9934 or email us at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org and we will provide you with one of our affiliated Ayurvedic professionals. Check with your doctor before taking herbs when pregnant or nursing.