MANAGING PILES WITH AYURVEDA
In Caraka Cikitsa Sthāna 14, piles are referred to as Arsha and always include the aggravation of all three doshas. The predominance of one dosha determines the type of pile.
What Causes Each Dosa to Become Afflicted?
- Vataja Arsha is caused by intaking too many foods that are astringent, pungent, bitter, ununctuous, cold, light, and too little quantity (not eating enough). Lifestyle choices include excess alcohol, frequent sex, fasting, living in a cold climate, excess physical exercise or work, grief, and exposure to sun and wind.
- Pittaja Arsha is caused by intaking too many foods that are pungent, hot, salty, and alkaline. Lifestyle choices include excessive exercise, high exposure to heat from either fire or the sun, living in a hot climate, excess alcohol, feeling envious, intaking food or drink that causes a burning sensation.
- Kaphaja Arsha is caused by intaking too many foods that are sweet, unctuous, cold, salty, sour, and heavy. Lifestyle choices include lack of exercise, sitting too long, sleeping during the day, excess sleep, exposure to wind, living in a cold climate, exposure to cold and inactive mind.
The three dosas become morbid by their aggravating factors and the three anal sphincters become afflicted at the ano-rectum. Piles caused by vata and kapha are known as dry piles and are usually less painful with no bleeding. Piles caused by pitta and/or rakta are associated with bleeding and are very painful this is known as wet piles. Surgery is often avoided when piles are managed early on with proper diet, lifestyle, and herbal products.
Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal has a large number of products that are useful in managing Piles. Some of them are:
- Pilocid Tablet an effective remedy for managing piles. The synergistic action of the herbs offers relief from pain and inflammation, improves digestive strength, mild laxative action, wound healing properties that provide relief from bleeding first- and second-degree piles. This formula is a combination of two herbal products namely Chiruvilvadi Kashyam and Dusparsakadi Kwatham both are mentioned in the classical texts for managing piles. May be used during pregnancy and lactation, please consult an Ayurvedic Doctor for proper usage.
- Pilocid Gel is an external application having soothing, anti-inflammatory, styptic, and anti-bacterial properties. The preparation arrests bleeding and thus could be used effectively in managing bleeding piles and also prevents secondary infection. In combination with the Pilocid tablet, it helps in the effective management of piles.
- Chiruvilvadi Kashayam is useful in managing piles, fistula, and many gastric complaints like indigestion and constipation. May be used during pregnancy and lactation, please consult an Ayurvedic Doctor for proper usage.
- Dusparsakadi Kwatham is useful in painful piles and fistula. Improves digestive strength, bowel movements, and reduces burning sensation. May be used during pregnancy and lactation, please consult an Ayurvedic Doctor for proper usage.
- Guggulupanchapala Churnam is highly praised in fistula, chronic ulcers, and skin diseases.
- Vanasuranadi Leham - useful for piles and associated indigestion, loss of appetite, pale skin color, and weakness.
- Jathyadi Ghritam – useful for chronic piles, ulcers, fistula, and wound healing. Unrivaled antiseptic ghee for indolent and chronic conditions and may be freely applied to the parts after thorough washing.
- Jathyadi Coconut Oil useful for chronic piles, ulcers, fistula, and wound healing by an external application after thorough washing.
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Kottakkal Ayurveda products and this information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have serious, acute or chronic health problems, please consult a trained health professional. If you are seeking the medical advice of a trained Ayurvedic practitioner or doctor, call (800) 215-9934 or email us at mailto:email@example.com and we will provide you with one of our affiliated Ayurvedic professionals. Check with your doctor before taking herbs when pregnant or nursing.