Migraine is a neurological disease, with headache being only one of several symptoms.
Other symptoms include nausea, sensitivity to light, sound, and odors, body pain and inability to focus. Some people experience prodromal symptoms of focal aura and/or excessive yawning. If left untreated or incorrectly treated, a migraine can take anywhere from four hours to three days to run its course (1).
Once thought as an episodic condition with attacks or flare-ups, it is now recognized as a chronic condition with episodic occurrences. In this way, it's similar to conditions like asthma where attacks are triggered (2).
The World Health Organization has named migraine the third most common and sixth most debilitating disease in the world. To help spread the word that migraine is a serious disease requiring improved education and treatment, the month of June was declared National Migraine Awareness Month (2).
Ayurveda has an answer. Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal has many products both for Internal use as well for external use such as:
Internal Products for Migraine
- Migrakot Tablet – a unique combination of the herbal ingredients is an ideal choice in the treatment of migraine. Also, the formulation has antiemetic, analgesic and cooling properties. Dosage: 2 tablets thrice daily or as directed by the physician.
- Pathyakshadhatryadi Kashayam – a liquid form of Migrakot Tablets. Effective relief for chronic migraine and headache, earache, hemicrania (one-sided headache), hemialgia (one-sided pain), tooth-ache, night blindness and ophthalmodynia (painful headache around the eyes). Jaggery may be added as an adjuvant.
- Varanadi Kwatham – useful for chronic kapha sinus migraine, abscess, and inflammation of internal organs.
External Products for Migraine
- Anu Oil – used for Nasya to support the healing of sinus headache, and various disorders affecting the head, eyes, nose, ears, and throat. Dose: 2 to 10 drops.
- Balahatadi Oil – Useful in head-ache, excessive heat, etc. For application on the head.
- Kadaliphaladi Oil – The most effective supplement to the head for daily use in constant head-ache.
- Migrakot Oil – a unique herbal combination enhances the transmission of the nerve cells and reduces the chances of getting headaches. Apply daily on the scalp half an hour before bath or as directed by the physician.
Disclaimer: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Kottakkal Ayurveda products and this information is not intended for use in the diagnosis, treatment, cure or prevention of any disease. If you have serious, acute or chronic health problems, please consult a trained health professional. If you are seeking the medical advice of a trained Ayurvedic practitioner or doctor, call (800) 215-9934 or email us at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org and we will provide you with one of our affiliated Ayurvedic professionals. Check with your doctor before taking herbs when pregnant or nursing.